Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Whispers From the Past

I was 18 years old when I moved out of home and went to university. My parents had a hard time letting me go, as I was their baby girl and a couple of tragedies had occurred in my high school life.

Anyway the day I arrived in my uni dorm, I was unpacking my boxes when the in-room phone rang. That's funny I though to myself as I didn't remember connecting the phone. I picked it up and said "Hello, it's Isabelle."

The voice on the other end replied with "Hello sweetheart did you miss me?" followed by a laugh.

I threw the phone away from myself and closed my eyes. I recognized the voice. It was the voice of my dead boyfriend. I shook my head and forced myself to believe I was imagining things.

The phone rang again but this time I didn't answer it. I let it go to the message bank.
"Hello sweetheart did you miss me" and laughter floated up through the answering machine.
I gave a small yelp and disconnected  the phone.
"It's just a prank" I told myself, "a stupid prank"

I held the disconnected phone in my hand and it rung again. I decided to throw caution to the wind.
"Hello" I answered my voice shaky
"Hello sweetheart did you miss me" the voice asked followed by the laughter yet again
"Paul?" I asked trying to suppress the tears.
"Of course it's me sweetheart" he replied.

I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from crying out. Paul was my boyfriend and he had died two years ago in a car crash. How could he be calling me now?

"Well sweetheart did you miss me?" Paul asked.
"Of course I did" I replied my voice cracking.
"I've missed you too sweetheart" Paul replied "I wish I could see you again"
"But Paul you're dead" I cried.
"Sweetheart, how can you say that to me don't you love me?" Paul sounded angry.
"I did" I replied tears leaking out of my eyes.

Paul was silent for a moment and then he laughed.
"What's so funny" I asked
"You said you'd love me for ever" Paul replied
"But you're dead" I repeated.
"Forever means forever sweetheart" Paul whispered.
"But Paul I have to move on" I said trying to be reasonable.
"FOREVER MEANS FOREVER" Paul shouted, his voice sounding almost demonic.

I closed my eyes and opened them again, this wasn't my imagination, it wasn't a prank and it wasn't a dream. was it possible that Paul was contacting me from 'the other side'

"I'm sorry Paul" I said. "I do still love you"
"I forgive you sweetheart" he whispered huskily
"You shouldn't, I'm the reason you're dead. I was the one driving the car. I got you killed. I"m so bloody sorry Paul" I screeched.

Paul laughed, "Oh sweetheart I forgive you for that too"
"Don't forgive me Paul" I said "I don't deserve forgiveness"
"No you don't sweetheart, but I do love you, and love means never having to say you're sorry" Paul replied

I stayed silent for a few minutes. Paul had said the exact same thing to me once upon a time, after our first big fight.

"Anyway sweetheart I should go" Paul said breaking the silence.
"Paul wait, how are you calling me?" I asked my voice taking on hints of desperation.
"Good bye sweetheart, will you miss me?" Paul laughed then hung up.

I put the phone down and sighed.Somehow Paul had called to tell me he forgave for getting him killed. Till this day I never understood how he did it.

Sent in by The Dark Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment

READ BEFORE COMMENTING

No profanity, foul, abusive, or insulting language.
Comments must be written in English.
Do not write in all caps.
Do not post personal contact information such as phone number, email address or mailing address in the body of your comment. And do not ask others for their personal contact information.

Comments not following the above rules are subject to being deleted.